Independence Day 2.0
One of my favourite movies, though it and the prequel are a little corny now! Our American cousins celebrated 4 July last weekend though this year it was against the back drop of a resurgent pandemic mixed in with political and racial tensions, worse than for quite some time.
- a 50% discount on eating out in August [£10 pp cap and only Monday – Wednesday]
- VAT on food, accommodation and attractions down to 5% to January 12th
- the tax on buying a home – stamp duty – starting at £125,000 has been raised to £500,000 to 31 March 2021
- Employers will be paid £1,000 for each employee taken off furlough
- Employers will be paid £1,000 to take on a trainee
- £2 billion is earmarked for “kick start” – to provide 25 hours of minimum wage work to the 16 – 24 year olds
- £3 billion “green package” to make 650,000 homes more energy efficient
- Education – he highlights the education system which was designed to produce obedient factory workers in the 19th century; it focuses on teaching facts, then testing those facts and then providing a grade. Years are spent studying text books and going into debt. All this to create a bit of paper to hand to an employer that is increasingly irrelevant
- Healthcare: patients are over diagnosed, over treated and over prescribed
- Tech: the market rewards monopolies that invade privacy and individual rights
- Monetary policy: often creates recessions
- News: skewed by corporate interests
- Privacy/Personal Data: Google knows everything you’ve ever bought on Amazon. Alexa is listening all the time; a FaceBook lawyer said “no invasion of privacy at all, because there is no privacy”; credit card companies sell your purchase data to hedge funds and ad agencies and finally, most companies you do business with store your credit card data
Generator North East, The Manse, Kingsland Church Studios, Priory Green, Byker, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE6 2DW
Newsletter Sign Up
Sign up to one of the Generator mailing lists to keep up to date.
Connect with Generator
© Generator 2022 - All rights reserved.
Delivered with Cargo Creative